Saturday, October 15, 2011

Kueh Keria

Hmmmm I seldom make traditional kuehs but I love to eat them. If I go to the morning market, there sure will be lots of varieties and I go 'gaga' over them and ended up buying lots of them. Alas, my family is not an avid fan of kuehs so rather than go to waste, the kuehs will be my breakfast, lunch, tea break  sometimes thrown into the bin as some of the kueh has coconut milk and it will go bad towards the evening.

As this month (October) Aspiring Bakers theme is Traditional Kueh, I gave this recipe a try. I remembered making this when I just got married and stayed together with my in-laws. They always have lots of sweet potatoes/ tapiocas as we stayed in a kampung and they plant fruits and rear pigs, chickens, geese, etc - A typical kampung life. My sis-in-law always made them into keropok (crackers) and while I made kueh keria out of it. I never measured the ingredients used so for my fellow readers, I try to give the weight of the ingredients.

                                                             (This one is before glazing)

Ingredients:

600g Sweet Potatoes
60g Plain Flour
60g Tapioca Flour
120g Castor sugar
45ml water
Oil for deep frying

1. Boil sweet potatoes till tender. Peel the skin and mash till fine.
2. Add flour little by little to the mashed potatoes & knead together to form a dough. Add water if its too dry.
3. Roll dough on a floured surface to 5 cm thick. Use a donut cutter to cut.
4. Heat oil in wok & deep fry the kueh. Drain & set aside.
5. Put sugar & water in a pan to make a thick syrup. Add the kueh to pan and glaze completely.

   (This was after the glaze but I realised I didnt wait until the sugar syrup crystalized a little before dipping the kueh in. It would have been much nicer...:-))


I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011) hosted by Small Small Baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment