Every year around August you will see all the bakery, supermarkets and sundry stores stocking up on boxes and boxes of mooncake and I never fail to fall in love with - not the mooncake but the boxes itself :-). Hubby says I have wierd hobby as I love to collect pretty tins or boxes. BUT this year, I didnt even get one as since I started to learn baking, I've been investing in cookbooks instead and furthermore my children are not into baked mooncakes and you can hardly find jelly mooncake for sale in supermarkets or bakery stores.
I attended a mooncake class in August conducted by Chef Khoo and this is one of the recipe which I find very easy to make and also the ingredients are easy to obtain. I noticed that jelly mooncake uses a lot of coloring so the first time I tried it out which was for own consumption, I did not add any colour but for the 2nd batch which is to be given to my children's tuition teacher, I added some colour to 'brighten' it up.
Jelly Egg Yolk : 5g 'Agar agar' powder
40g Castor sugar
few drops orange colour
Bring all ingredients to a boil and pour into 'egg yolk' mould.
Filling: (A) 2 tsp Agar-agar powder (B) 100ml thick coconut milk
120ml thin coconut milk 150g cream style sweet corn
50g Castor sugar a drop of yellow colour
1/8 tsp salt (I omitted it as the corn was already salty enough)
1) Bring ingredients A to boil until agar agar dissolved.
2) Add in coconut milk of ingredient 'B'.
3) Add in the blended sweet corn and mix well.
4) Remove from heat and add a drop of yellow colour.
5) Pour into small mould (plastic cup) and put an 'egg yolk' in the middle.
6) Set aside.
Skin: (A) 3 tsp Agr-agar powder (B) 100ml thick coconut milk
1/2 tsp instant jelly 100g pandan lotus paste
500ml thin coconut milk a drop of green colour
few pcs pandan leaf
80g Castor sugar
1) Bring all ingedients (A) to a boil until agar agar powder and jelly dissolved.
2) Add in coconut milk of ingredient (B).
3) As soon as its boiled, turn off heat and slowly pour into pandan paste. Mix well.
4) Pour mixture into mooncake mould until half. Wait for it to set a little and place the set filling.
5) Cover with remaining mixture till full.
6) Chill in fridge.