Friday, March 11, 2011

Sardine Rolls

Hmm sardines, the fish with the fishy smell :-). Its been quite some time since I ate this and I think not many cafes or bakery are making this for sell. A friend asked if she can order sardine rolls for a tea party next week so before I could promise her, I gave this recipe a try and I'm satisfied with the crust and filling but few of my friends commented that it was not spicy enough. Hmmm I must add some 'cili padi' next time.

I remembered making this sardine roll by placing mashed sardines on a piece of white bread which was then rolled up and deep fried during my childhood times. For this recipe, I made these rolls using a shortcrust pastry taken from Agnes Chang's 'Baking Made Easy'

Basic Short Crust Pastry
240g plain flour, sifted
120g cold butter, cubed
4 tbsp cold water

- Place flour and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Use finger tips & rub butter into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Make a hole in the center, add in cold water and mix into a dough.
- Leave aside to rest for 30 mins before shaping.

Sardine Rolls
1 small tin sardine, drained & mashed
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp chili sauce
1 tbsp oil
juice of 1 lime
sugar & salt to taste

- Heat oil and stir fry the onion till fragrant.
- Add sardines, chili sauce, sugar & salt & lime juice.
- Fry till mixture becomes dry. Dish out.

1) Place 1 tsp of sardine filling on one end of a 9 x 6 pcs of pastry.
2) Roll up swiss roll style and seal edges with water.
3) Place rolls on baking tray and brush top with egg yolk.
4) Bake in preheated oven of 180 degree C for 20 - 25 mins or until rolls become golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. I learned to make this when i was in secondary school (following my teacher's recipe with full dedication) but yours is simple to follow...

    I will try to make this tomorrow..

    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete