Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Durian Swiss Roll

Remember I bought a container of Durian Puree from the local Consolidated food? Yeah... I still have lots of it and I'm trying to finish them up by searching for recipes that uses durian puree. Over the weekend I went over to Johore Bahru for my brother's marriage registration ceremony and he bought durians for me to eat. Wow! I never knew there were so many types of durian. We ate 2 types of durian - the 'Musang' & 'Apple'. In Sabah, the durian season is not out yet so I will probably have to wait until August/ September to use durian flesh for baking and add some of the store bought durian (if I still have them.)

Since its still the month of July, I'm making this durian swiss roll for the Aspiring Bakers. Actually the swiss roll cracked but it cannot be seen as it was underneath..(^o^). Because I used durian puree for the filling, it was not thick and flow out when cut. Taste wise, its still good...

Ingredients

5 Egg yolk
60g Castor Sugar
60ml Milk
80g Durian Pureee
90ml Corn Oil
60g Cake Flour
60g Plain Flour
20g Corn Flour
1/2 tsp Durian Essence (Optional)

5 Egg White
70g Castor Sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

Method

1) Grease & line a tray size 10 X 14 with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 170 degree C.
2) In a large bowl, mix egg yolk & sugar followed by durian puree, corn Oil, Milk, Durian Eessence and lastly the flours.
3) In another bowl, beat egg whites till foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to whip. Gradually add in the sugar & beat at high speed till stiff peak.
4) Fold in the egg yolk mixture to the egg white.
5) Pour over the tray and bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
6) Cool the cake before spreading the filling.

Filling

120ml non-dairy whipping cream, whipped
80g Durian Puree
150g Durian Flesh ( I didnt add any)

- Mix the puree & flesh into the whipped cream and spread onto the cake.
- Roll it gently and chill in fridge at least 1 hour before slicing.

I am submitting this entry to Aspiring Bakers #9 - Swiss Rolling Good Times (July 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food

2 comments:

  1. This is loooking so fluffyyyyyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Could you give us the recipe for the swiss roll without durian?

    Regards,

    Marcos

    ReplyDelete