I made some mini mooncakes instead of the big ones as I find the mini ones can retain its shape. When I made the bigger baked mooncake it became slanted and has 'elephant' feet. I think I need to trouble shoot some more before attempting again next year...:-((
I got this interesting recipe from the 'Yum Yum' magazine vol # 68. In this issue, they have many types of baked mooncake traditional and alsoteochew style. I picked this one since its the easiest...(^.^)
175g Mooncake syrup / Golden syrup/Sugar syrup
1 tsp Alkaline Water
50g Peanut Oil (I used corn oil)
200-220g Low Protein Flour (I used superfine flour)
250g Cheddar Cheese, cut into 25 cubes
350g Lotus seed paste, divided into 25 portions (14g each)
* You can actually reduce or add the portions of the cheddar cheese and lotus paste according to the weight of your mould.
1. Skin: Combine all ingredients & mix well. Cover with a piece of damp towel and rest for 30 mins. Divide the dough into 25 portions about 17g each.
2. Filling: Wrap 1 cube of cheddar cheese into 1 portion of lotus seed paste and form into a ball.
3. Flatten the skin dough, wrap filling and form into a ball. Sprinkle dough with a little flour and press into mooncake mould. Knock out the mooncake and place onto a baking tray. Brush off the excess flour.
4. Brush the surface with a little water and bake in preheatwed oven of 200 degree C for 8 mins. Remove and leave to cool for 15 mins. Glaze with beaten egg and bake for another 10 mins or until golden brown. Remove and leave to cool before serving.
Aspiring Bakers #11: Mid-Autumn Treats (September 2011), hosted by Happy Home Baking