I've been hit by the Kasutera / Castella or better known as the Japanese Sponge Cake fever. My friend Cynthia of http://mumto4angels.blogspot.com/ started reviving the fever when she post it in her Facebook and everyone who knows how to bake started to bake this cake.
This cake uses 4 ingredients only -Flour, Sugar, Eggs & Honey. A good Kasutera is moist with a very fine texture and is very light. It does not have a speck of oil in it - no butter, margarine,or shortening.
5 Egg Yolks
4 Egg whites
125g Castor Sugar
100g Bread Flour (I used High Protein flour)
15g Turbinado Sugar (I used Brown Sugar)
50g Honey + 2-3 tbsp hot water to dilute.
-Line insides & bottom of a 7" pan with foil & add a piece of parchment paper to bottom. Sprinkle with turbinado/brown sugar.
- Preheat ocen to 160 degree C.
- Whisk egg white on high speed & start adding castor sugar in 2-3 batches. Beat till firm peaks form.
- Add in yolks one at a time & mix on low speed till well combined.
- Add sifted flour & mix on low speed. Add honey + water & mix on low speed.
- Pour batter through a sieve onto cake pan. Tap pan on counter to remove bubbles.
- Bake 50 - 60 mins until golden brown on top.
- When ready, immediately take out and drop from a foot high to counter to prevent shrinkage.
- Cool and wrap with parchment paper/ cling film and store in fridge at least overnight.
- Trim sides before serving.