Monday, May 23, 2011

Green Tea Chiffon Cake for Mothers Day

Mothers day is celebrated on the 2nd Sunday of the month of May every year and this year, I baked a mini cake for my mother whereas previously I buy them from the local bakery. When I took the cake to my mother's house, she grumbled about wasting my money on buying cakes but when I told her that I baked the cake, she accepted it readily....(^.^).Mothers! They do not want to see her children wasting money unwisely....

This was the first time I baked using green tea aka matcha as an ingredient. I dare not try any recipe using green tea as I thought they might taste bitter but at first bite, it was aromatic and tasted like pandan cake....I picked Green Tea chiffon cake as my mother do not like sweet cakes and also not fond of chocolates.



Green Tea Chiffon Cake

70g Cake Flour                                          5 Egg Whites
10g Green Tea Powder                              90g Castor Sugar
5 Egg Yolks                                     
20g Castor Sugar
70g Water
60g Oil

1) Combine egg yolks & sugar. Mix well.
2) Add in water & oil. Blend together.
3) Sift the cake flour & green tea powder together and add into the egg yolk mixture. Mix well and set aside.
4) Beat egg white till frothy and gradually add in the sugar and beat until stiff peak.
5) Fold egg white into egg yolk mixture.
6) Pour into a 20cm tube pan and bake at 160 degree C for 40 - 50 mins.

* I divided into 2 small pans (a 6' round pan & 6' heart shape pan)

The original recipe actually suggested frosting with red bean cream but I frosted it with cream cheese & another one for myself (^o^) with fresh cream. I will definitely try this recipe again and this time frost it with red bean cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment