Monday, January 17, 2011

Baking for Chinese New Year...Pineapple Tarts

Chinese New Year is just around the corner and for this year, I felt the urge to bake cookies instead of buying them.  All these years I think I spent over hundreds of RM to buy containers of cookies to be given away as gifts to friends and also to serve to guests during the open house. This year, not anymore. I spend my money instead on buying ingredients to make some selections of cookies.

With the help from my daughter, I spent the whole weekend mornings to prepare, cut, mould and bake the cookies. It was very tiring but after seeing the goodies laid out on the table, I felt a great satisfaction.





This time I will post one of the cookies made which is the 'not to be missed' Pineapple Tart from the book 'Biscuit DIY' published by One Publisher. Initially I wanted to make pineapple roll but reading how time consuming it is, I venture to bake the 'open' tart and promised to try the roll next year..:-))


250g butter
80g castor sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
400g Flour
pinch of salt
few drops Vanilla essence
300g Pineapple Jam (stor bought)
1 egg yolk for glazing

1. Cream butter & sugar until light. Ad egg & beat thoroughly. Add salt & vanilla essence.
2. Stir in flour and mix to a firm dough.
3. Roll the dough into 1/4 " thick and cut with cookie cutter.
4. Glaze the cookie and place a small ball of pineapple jam in the centre.
5. Bake in preheated oven of 170 degree C for 20-25 mins.

2 comments:

  1. Wow sis, you really could use a bigger oven then, and perhaps the KitchenAid. BTW, saw the KitchenAid in Singapore, SGD$700 for the tilt head model, you should definitely consider it. I can get you a lot of the attachment here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha..ha.. bro. maybe not bigger oven but could use the kitchen aid. maybe my next trip to Spore I will go and buy.

    ReplyDelete