Saturday, April 9, 2011

Irish Coffee Caramel Cake

Irish Coffee Caramel Cake..Hmmm thats a mouthful. If you are a coffee lover and like caramel, this one is for you. When my brother from USA came back for a short trip end of last year, he brought some baking stuffs for me and one of them is the Jell-O Mousse Caramel flavour.

While cleaning up the pantry, I noticed that it was nearing the expiry date and rather than making it as a mousse by itself, I decided to use it as a cake filling. I was deciding between a chocolate or a coffee cake and since I have a recipe for an Irish coffee cake from my baking class which I attended last year, I decided to give it a try....Hence the "Irish Coffee Caramel Cake.(^.^)

Sponge Cake
(A) 9 Egg yolks                                                        (B) 9 Egg Whites
     110g Cake Flour                                                       150g Castor Sugar
     30g Cornflour                                                            1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
     70g Optima Flour
     40g Cappuccino Powder
     3 tbsp Nescafe
     1/4 tsp Salt
     1/4 tsp Baking Soda
     80g Water
     80g Corn Oil

-Mix all ingredients (A). Set aside.
- Whisk Egg White & cream of tartar of (B) till foamy. Add Sugar and beat until stiff.
- Fold in Egg white mixture to Egg yolk mixture & mix well. Pour into an 11' round pan.
- Bake at 150 degree C for 45 - 50 mins.
-Let cool and slice into 2/3 layers.

* I halved the recipe and used a 9' round pan.

** Prepare the Jell-O mousse as directed. Lay a piece of sponge cake and pour the caramel over it. Top with another layer of sponge cake.
    Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before frosting with fresh cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment